Thank you for your prayers for the Elders of Harvest Bible Chapel this past ministry year.
In our May and June meetings, we rejoiced over significant indications of God’s faithfulness to this ministry and would like to report the following.
- Giving is keeping pace with projections and prayer was given for congregational faithfulness over the summer months.
- Congregational meetings for information on key Elder initiatives will continue on an ‘as needed’ basis.
- Policy was adopted to govern the relationship between the Elder Leadership Team (a smaller group that provides direct accountability to Senior Staff) and the full board. Constitutional changes to reflect that policy as presented to the congregation in the fall of 2013 were also approved.
- A new COO, Scott Milholland, was added to our church staff in April. This position reports with Pastor James directly to the ELT, freeing him from day-to-day involvement in the management of staff and Harvest Bible Chapel ministries. We are enthused about the way this change releases our Pastor to focus upon his preaching and pastoring ministry to our church family in the years ahead.
- Current Elder policy calls for Elders to rotate off the board after their first or second 3-year term. Getting on this schedule has proven challenging, but we are happy to report that Bill Ciofani, an Elder since the year 2000, is rotating off the board in good standing this spring. Joining him in this rotation will be John Southard, Jim Rowan, John Dierker, and Mark Hopwood. These men still have Elder status in our church and will be eligible to return to the board after a 1-year sabbatical from active board participation. In a crisis, they could be called upon to participate in decision making. Vice-chairman Steve Huston has become the board chairman, and Robert Jones has accepted a newly established position of ‘former chairman.’ The former chairman will lead the process of future Elder nomination and assure continuity of leadership transition.
- Summer ministry plans such as Camp Harvest, High Five summer day camp, and Summer for the City (which assists key compassion ministries in the city of Chicago) are greatly anticipated.
- Early response to the weekly broadcast of Walk in the Word TV has been very encouraging. Plans for fall expansion to broadcast 6 days each week are well under way. Please pray for this outreach as it impacts lives and accelerates our mission of planting Vertical Churches around the world.
- Pastor James’ final message this ministry year will be given the last Sunday in June and will kick off our summer series on prayer, called Just Ask.
- Please praise the Lord with us for 363 public decisions for Jesus Christ on Father’s Day and many early reports of salvation decisions from Camp Harvest and High Five.
- A special service this weekend highlights our 2-year journey through the Gospel of John and gives opportunity for personal response.
- We have much to be grateful for as a church family and are already reviewing plans for a theme and special emphases in the ministry year ahead, which begins in late August.
- Please pray for Pastor James as he seeks the Lord for insight and direction about his preaching calendar for the fall ministry year 2014-2015, our church’s 27th year of ministry. This will be presented to the Elders for approval in August. Pray also that he and Kathy, and all our ministry staff families, will have a time of renewal through their vacations this summer.
- Please pray for Pastor Rick and Lyn, as they are devoting immense time and effort to pastoring the pastors of our church, in addition to traveling to minister to many who lead churches in Harvest Bible Fellowship. We are very grateful for their tireless efforts to serve Christ and this church.
It’s going to be a great summer at Harvest.
For the entire Elder Board of Harvest Bible Chapel,
Steve Huston, Elder Board Chairman
Randy Williams, ELT Chairman